Tuesday, October 18, 2011
I made the size 18 with only a 1" FBA and about 1" extra back width.
I bought this fabric over in melbourne a couple of months ago and have been trying to pick the perfect pattern for it, I finally decided to have a go with Simplicity 4070, its meant to be an evening dress pattern but I think it looks fine as a day dress in sateen. It a lot more green in real life, it wouldn't photograph well for some reason.
Its a tad tight, I pin fitted it then basted the zipper in and tried it on, so I thought I'd be safe. I think it might be a combo of the piping not letting the waist stretch and the lining, even though I used a stretch poplin to line it always seems to tighten the bodice up. I'll wear it a couple of times to see if it loosens and if it doesn't I can unpick the zipper and add a bit of width.
Piping around the waistband, bodice and straps
I used lace to finish off the hem and used my favourite pockets out of Simplicity 2588 again!
Its nice finally having something to blog about, I've made my Mum 2 Lonsdale dresses that are just waiting on hemming and photos, and I've muslined up Vogue 8727 which reminded me why I hate gathered busts! and tried the 4th muslin of the Lonsdale dress for me. I've been using darts and am just not happy so I think the next try will be converting the darts into princess seams and hopefully that will fit better.