Friday, April 27, 2012
Vogue 7975: Chanel style jacket - trim
So far so good, I got to try it on Mum last weekend and noticed it had some excess in front of her arms. According to FFRP its from narrow shoulders so I unpicked the arms and moved them over as far as I could, which was only about 1/2". So fingers crossed it looks better.
I have one armhole lining stitched down. I see a lot of people have trouble with it but I found if I sewed the bodice lining over top of the sleeve lining it sat very smoothly compared to trying to sew the very curved sleeve lining over top of the bodice lining.
Trim wise, I went with plain satin bias binding. I would love to have used a wider binding, you can see the machine stitching around the inside which should have been covered up, but I'm on an enforced no fabric/trim buying diet at the moment so had to go with what I had. After moving all my fabric and bits and pieces into the new sewing room I still have piles of it sitting around that won't fit in my cupboards or the new shelves I bought! So next couple of months need to be stash busting sewing!
You can see the bias undersleeve in this photo.
So - I've got half the trim left to stitch on and the other sleeve left to unpick and resew in plus the pockets to go the front. Getting there!