Saturday, May 19, 2012

Newlook 6007: Progress

So capes, I'm still not sure if they're a bit costumey to wear or not but I have to admit I love them! I was a bit put off by how shapeless they are so when I found this one at Modcloth I decided to copy it.


I started off with NewLook 6007 and made a couple of toiles. Once I pinned the sides together it was going to be too small so I added a lot to the arm pieces and some extra to both the front and back panels.


I added bound buttonholes and single welt pockets again. The fabric is a thick springy wool I got from Rathdowne Fabrics in Melbourne last year (great place btw, fantastic fabrics and great prices). The lining is from my hubbie's Nan, so its the old thicker lining.



It took a bit of fiddling around but I decided the best way to add the elastic was to sew a channel around the waist like in the Minoru jacket. So now the lining is added, I'll sew the channel, thread the elastic through then sew the sides together. I thought about a bias band around the whole inside but I really wanted a lining and for it to look nice and neat inside.

You can see the difference just with one side having the elastic pinned on. I kinda wish I hadn't put that top buttonhole in now, it would have folded nicer without it, but too late now!

5 comments:

  1. Ooooh nice. I am a new reader to your blog and I am going to guess is your favourite color purple? Because it looks great on you!!

    I want to make a cape after reading this. Is a cape easier to make then a regular coat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neeno!
      A cape is so much easier to sew than a coat! You don't have to set in sleeves and there's less fitting involved plus there's only 9 pattern pieces on this cape compared to the 17 pieces in the trench coat I made last!
      And yep, love purple :)

      Delete
  2. Wow. You're getting so good at this sewing thing! This looks amazing! I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's finished!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzy, I love the cape!
    I've really enjoyed your blog so I've decided to pass on the Liebster Award to you.
    Check out my blog for more details.
    - Anna -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna! I'll post about it in the next few days :)

      Delete