Monday, June 25, 2012

Get Creative 2002: Boys Shirt




I bought this pattern out of the clearance bin at Spotlight when I first started sewing, I've never heard of the pattern brand (I think it might be one made by Spotlight?) but it was well drafted and the instructions were pretty good.

I made the kids button up shirt (it also has men's sizes and a cargo pant in the pattern). I made a Medium with added extra width to the sides and arms and originally made long sleeves but they were way too short so they got cut off!
I followed Male Pattern Boldness's shirt sewalong instructions for the flat felled seams and construction, worked a treat - a lot easier than I thought honestly!


First time matching a plaid, took a bit of fiddling at the start and one side doesn't match perfectly but the front is pretty good.


Its a little tight through the chest so next one I'll make a Large and I want to change the front facing to an attached placket like in Simplicity 1941, it just folds back and is top stitched.

5 comments:

  1. How 'cool' your little man looks in this shirt. I didn't know Spotlight put together their own patterns - something new for me to hunt out on the next visit.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely top - great model. Very grown up shirt - looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks fantastic. Get creative is Spotlight's magazine and they used to include patterns in the magazine. Maybe this was an extension of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! Thats interesting, I didn't know they used to put patterns in the magazine.

      Delete