Wednesday, April 3, 2013

StyleArc: Wendy Pant



This pant is a pull-on stretch woven with a tabbed waistband. I used a stretch gabardine I got from fabric.com a few months ago.
I got a sz20 pattern and added to the front and back inner legs but given how stretchy this fabric was I don't think I needed it. I added to the back rise and scooped out the front.

I followed the instructions for the waistband but if I sewed them again I would do it differently - I'd sew the waistband and facing as one piece then serge it onto the pants instead of fiddling around and putting the waistband on then the facing.




The waistband is meant to be held shut with Velcro but I didn't have any so did a couple of jeans buttons and buttonholes.


Sorry for the grumpy face!

I've worn these the last couple of days, they have stretched/bagged out a fair bit but still fit ok, not sure how this fabric will last as it already feels slightly pilled. I think if they were made out of a Bengalene they would wear better and if I make them again (which I think I will) it will be out of Bengalene.

14 comments:

  1. Cute pants! I really like the stripe, and these totally don't look like your average stretchy pants. :D

    Also, you make it look so easy (although I'm learning now that it's really not, not at first anyways). lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzy, you are queen of pants! I am getting you a crown and everything! I really love the stripe on these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! The queen of pants, lol. Thanks Amanda :)

      Delete
  3. Those pants are fab! Peplum and then stripes... looks ace!

    Lots of love

    Caffy Bundana
    @ http://www.bundana.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! They don't look like pull-ons at all! They're great looking pants.

    I've heard about Bengalene, mainly from Southern Hemisphere bloggers, but don't know anything about it. But I saw something labelled Bengalene (or was it Bengaline?) in my local fabric store last week, and it was a medium weight, sort of like cotton. I was just curious about this fabric, as many of you really like it. How does it wear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lurve Bengalene! It wears really well, I have pants I made nearly 2 years ago out of it with no visible wear showing on them at all. It doesn't pill and it has great recovery so you don't get the bagged/stretched out thing happening after wearing it for a while! The stretch runs the opposite way to normal though so watch it the first time you cut it out (I wasted a couple of metres the first time I sewed with it!). I've seen it labeled as a few different spelling (Bengalene, Bengaline, etc).

      Delete
  5. Suzy - those pants are great. Love the striped fabric. Shame it is pilling already - doesn't that do your head in. All the trouble you go to and the fabric doesn't play well.

    I think the buttons look much more classy than a velcro opening.

    Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beajay, it is a real pity about the fabric, it felt beautiful before I started sewing but has stretched out massively now, I'm hoping a good wash will help it spring back otherwise they'll have to be unpicked (which I really hate doing!)

      Delete
  6. Another great pair of pants - love them in pinstripe. Did the pattern seriously have velcro to close the waistband? Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep velcro, I didn't know how it would stand up to me sitting down or if it would pop open all the time either so thats another reason for the buttons!

      Delete
  7. These are great pants! I really love the pinstripe and the fit. I might have to check out this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this review. I love the striped fabric you used. These pants look really good on you. I am going to put a side zipper on mine - I have this fear of pants with no closures.

    ReplyDelete