Monday, March 24, 2014

Lekala 4329: Finished jacket






So I kind of skipped ahead on the sewalong and finished my jacket!
The jacket is meant to be worn with a belt but I liked the look on me better without it so I pressed the collar flat and added a press stud as well to keep the collar in place.


Alteration were all listed in the last post. Fabrics used were a poly crepe for the main and a poly satin for the lining.


I'm really happy with the fit, the drapey fabric caused me a bit of grief though. I had a lot of drag lines on the upper sleeves which I think were caused mostly from the drapey fabric. I interfaced the upper part of the sleeves, inserted sleeve heads and shoulder pads and while they aren't perfect its a lot better than before.


On that note, I interfaced the collar, sleeves, front and hems, but with this fabric I should have interfaced the back and the whole peplum too. I think it would have made the peplum sit a lot nicer.

I have a feeling I put the collar on the wrong side, but too late now to change it!


So some thoughts;
I loved the fitting and sewing process, and I really enjoyed taking my time with it. Sewalongs always push me to spend that bit more time on a garment and not rush through. I like Lekala patterns, I'm still getting used to the adjustments needed but I like the convenience, range and price of them. The instructions are very lacking, they don't seem to be translated very clearly into English and include no diagrams. It doesn't really matter on a top or pants but on a jacket like this it would have been nice to have more details. I highly recommend checking out the sewalong posts for extra help/clarification if you are looking to make this and don't have much experience with sewing jackets.

15 comments:

  1. This looks fierce, Suzy! I love the colour on you :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful jacket and the fit is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! Wonderful color on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful! I didn't have any luck the first time I tried a Lekala pattern, but you knocked this one out of the park!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whatever you did with the interface, I think it looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely jacket Suzy. Love the "hidden" buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. That's a stunning jacket. I can understand why you sewed up your jacket with such speed. It's really lovely. What a great fit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It turned out wonderfully. I love the colour you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was doing a sew-a-long too but skipped ahead so I wasn't really sewing-a-long at all!
    Great jacket - looks just as good with the belt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw I love it! It looks really good both with and without the belt, so there's a bonus! That's a really nice colour on you too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fantastic job. I have also bought the pattern and after just finishing another Lekala jacket (bolero) pattern I am really looking forward to this one. I love your chosen colour too. Purple seems to highlight your face. Did you also make your jeans? They look great on you. If you did, what pattern did you use? Love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pauline, The jeans are Burda 6011 with modifications, I'll post up the blog post about them this weekend :)

      Delete
  12. This is a neat jacket pattern, that I hadn't seen before. It looks wonderful on you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It turned out really lovely and I agree, I like it without the belt.

    ReplyDelete