Thursday, December 11, 2014

Closet Case Files: Ginger Jeans - purple denim





Another pair of jeans, I've been wearing my first pair heaps lately.

 

Same as last time;
  • Added 1" to the inner leg seam on the front pattern piece.
  • Adjusted the side seams - I have hyperextended calves and they were dragging the side seam backwards so I added to the back and took from the front to straighten it up.
  • Changed the front pockets to a pocket stay.
  • Shaped the side seams
  • I did a couple of construction changes - I followed my fav zipper tutorial and serged the waistband facing instead of turning under (just helps to reduce bulk with a heavier weight denim).
  • Shaped the waistband to be more curved to stop the gape at the back.
  • Also I added elastic to the waistband to help stabilise/stop stretching out.
  • Took in the side seams as my purple denim was very stretchy
  • Plus I took length out of the legs at the knees from where I had originally added it and I also took some height out of the back rise, again from where I had added it.

I used a purple denim (its either from Rathdowne or GJ's discount fabrics). Its a lot thinner than my first pair and has some good stretch in it.
 

Topstitching is Gutermann and a matching plain poly thread for the bartacks. I'm definitely more of a fan of the upholstery thread for jeans topstitching, my machine doesn't really like how thick the topstitching thread is and I found it harder to keep an even line with it.


I added a pocket stay - its a quilting cotton that I had in my stash


Not much else to say except I've already cut out my third pair ready to be sewn!
 

12 comments:

  1. These look great! I adore the purple denim and beautiful top-stitching. I've definitely got to get started on my next Gingers in a fun color denim!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colour on you. Just lovely. Also, your topstitching is on point. I think I said that last time, but I am always impressed with people who kick ass at topstitching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHHHHH!!! These are so fabulous. And the thread/guts combo is inspired. Made my day to see these in my feed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sure know how to rock those jeans!! Love them and they look so awesome on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great-looking jeans! I love the top-stitching color that you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these!! I really like the contrasting top stitching thread! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice and the colors are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous colour. Both pairs look great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the upholstery thread idea! I will thank you as I sew.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seriously, one day you're going to hear a knock at your door and I'll be there with some fabric and a sad look on my face (and probably a lot of bribery money - if the flight there doesn't syphon my bank account, that is) and beg you to help me make pants. Because you are obviously the Queen of them!

    I love all of your pants, but these are, I think, my favourite. Maybe it's the purple denim. Maybe it's the pocket fabric. Probably it's all those miles of pink topstitching perfection. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ooh, where'd you get your purple denim??? love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice nice nice! Purple is my favorite color and I am in love with the results of this project. Very nice fit on you!

    ReplyDelete