Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Rainbow quilt




My Mum lives on a few acres outside of a small country town and a few years ago she painted her front fence in rainbow colours. People either love it or hate it, but it certainly suits my Mum and her extroverted personality!
I've been wanting to make her a quilt for ages and it had to be a rainbow one. I started to make her the Wavelength quilt out of Modern Quilting but after I started it, I just didn't like it so did some panic googling to find another idea to use the fabric for.
I found this awesome quilt by buttontree lane. I had enough different shades of fabric and already had the dark charcoal for the background.


I wanted it to end up nice and big so used fairly big hst (6.5"). The quilt is 96" x 96" (240cmx240cm) finished. I didn't get any photos but the backing is the left over grey and the binding is a black and white stripe.

I had help basting it from our new kitten!


Its kind of huge, I free motion quilting the grey sections but left the colours unquilted. I found it tends to dull out the colours a bit when they are quilted and I wanted it as bright as possible, plus the effect it has looks cool, lol.




All in all, I'm really happy how it truned out and Mum loves it!

13 comments:

  1. ... and your new kitten is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous! Big crazy bold quilts like this make me want to give it a try

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! I can't believe my quilt was your inspiration! Your quilt is AMAZING. I absolutely love it and I also love your mum's fence! Congratulations on a truly spectacular quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely amazing - gorgeous and very inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your quilt! If I made myself one it would also be in rainbow colours:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How pretty and I love your mum's fence!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful and it looks so good on you Mom's fence!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous quilt! I love the selective quilting and the color scheme you chose, and it is a lovely complement to the fence. (Which I also love, btw; our previous neighbors had painted their front porch rainbow, and we miss that feature very much now that they've moved!) And on top of all this beauteousness, you give us kitten photos, too?!? Just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL! Your kitty is really lovely:) Did it help you with quilting? I think that rainbow fence is a wonderful idea, no matter what people say! The quilt looks cool, great job!

    ReplyDelete